The Center for Social Justice
« select »
Call to action
This week only
Just CSJ events
Tech Tips for Social Justice
This Week's Newsletter
Receive CSJ newsletter in your inbox!
(send announcements to email@example.com)
Sep 24, 2014 -
Neoliberalism and the Far Right
When: Wed, September 24th, 7pm
Where: Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto
* Bill Fletcher Jr is co-author of
Solidarity Divided: The Crisis in Organized Labor
* Greg Albo is co-editor of
Sponsored by Labour Committee of the
, Centre for Social Justice, Socialist Project, Global Labour Research Centre |
Sep 22, 2014 -
International Car-Free Day
Join us on September 22 at 3 pm in the Alterna Room at CSI Spadina (215 Spadina Avenue) to celebrate International Car-Free Day by participating in an act of urban imagination.
What's happening and when:
* Welcome - Tonya Surman - 3:03 pm
* The People's Queen Street - Edward Nixon & Asher Mercer - moving toward a car-free Queen Street. 3:15 pm
* Let's Dream: Building a social innovation campaign to "sell the dream of a car-free Queen." 3:30 pm
* Let's Engage: How would you make Queen Street a better public space? - 4:00 pm
* Let's Network, Nibble & Drink - 4:30 pm
The People's Queen Street is a project of two members of the CSI community, EN Consulting Group and Urban ID consulting, that seeks to re-imagine Queen Street as Toronto's defining public space, focused on people and public transit, rather than cars.
Sep 23, 2014 -
Social Justice and our voting system
When: Tuesday September 23rd, 7pm
Where: Metro Hall, 55 John Street, Room 310, Toronto
Does our voting system have anything to do with our quality of life, health and social justice? The evidence says it does and so do Dennis Raphael and Dennis Pilon.
Engaging and informed speakers, they have a lot of insight into the social determinants related to our voting system and what we could do better. Canada is almost the last developed democracy to cling to a winner-take-all system. This is not about fusty voting systems but about the profound impact of not changing our system on our health and wellbeing. This is not merely about how we mark our ballots but also about a way of life.
Sep 24, 2014 -
JacobinMag reading group
When: Wednesday, September 24th, 6:15pm
Where: Lilian H Smith Library (Room A), 239 College, Toronto
— Readings —
* Jennifer Pan -
- On gendered and affective labour and the public relations industry
* Frances Fox Piven -
New Protest Era
- A topical piece considering Ferguson, teacher and fast food strikes
* Sam Gindin -
Unmaking Global Capitalism
- 9 anti-capitalist organizing considerations from a York University favourite
Follow us on Facebook
© 2007-2012 The Centre for Social Justice. All Rights Reserved.